Monday, June 20, 2011

Golf Weekend 2011

So I didn't receive any calls yesterday wishing me a happy fathers' day, fortunately. Or unfortunately? Maybe my illegitimate children just don't have my phone number. Leave a comment below, illegitimate children/mother of my illegitmate children, letting me know if that's that case. No. Don't do that. That's too public/digital of a reunion. Friend me on facebook first and let me judge you and determine if I want to be a part of your life.

Anyway.

Let's go through my thought process to see how Thursday night turned out how it did: Not sure how it started but I was thinking about Chicago hotdogs. I was wondering if people in Chicago actually eat them often or if they're more of a tourist novelty. Then I was trying to think of something similar in DC. I thought of Ben's Chili Bowl. I have only been to Ben's like twice but it is quite popular with the tourists. I really like Ben's so when the plan of action for Thursday night was discussed I proposed going there late night. Well, a few beers and games of pool later it is 2am and time to get a half-smoke and chili cheese fries down on U St. So my only willing roommate and I hop on some bikes--one sans pedals, the other a bikesharey--and get down there sure that it is open very late all nights of the week as we have been there quite late on the weekend. Well, we're wrong and the worker guy literally locks the door in my face. (In situations like this do you automatically retrace recent events to calculate what you could have done differently in order to arrive there a minute or two earlier? I do. Most of the time though it's when I get to the bottom of the stairs in the Metro and the train is pulling away.) What are we to do now? Chinatown. There is a 100% chance it's open so we take that chance and ride on down there, gorge ourselves on overpriced, delectable chinese food, and face the reality that home is a couple miles (uphill) away. And a moderately harsh truth it was.

Have you ever been in DC around Metro Center literally the only people on the streets or anywhere in sight for that matter? Probably not because I didn't see you there. That was neat.

Luckily, I had taken off the next day because my father was coming into town for us to attend the 111th United States Open Championship of golf being held up in Bethesda, MD over the weekend.

So that partially explains the title of this here posty. The other part is explained by the golf that was played by us, rather than watching others, on Friday. So that happened and I got tanner. BTW Radius pizza in Mt. Pleasant is pretty good in case you're in the neighborhood and looking for something tasty to eat. Incidentally, if you're in the neighborhood and do not tell me, please do not come back to this weblog as you are not welcome because that is just rude.

So Saturday I received almost the last of my Christmas presents (my sister got me a beer of the month thing that concludes in July, so I have that to look forward to). We woke up relatively early to head on up to Congressional Country Club to watch professional golfers do their job. And I now understand the logic in granting countries without a large soccer watching population the right to host the World Cup as being so close to people of that extreme level of expertise really piques the interest of a novice to that event. I now have a much larger appreciation for professional golf and want to go out and play more than I previously had a desire to (until I go out there and suck horribly and wonder why I can't do what they make look so easy, of course).

Also, not sure how I became so introverted given how extroverted my father is? Pretty much everyone, including complete strangers, enjoys his company, while I enjoy the company of about 6 total people on the planet earth. What happened in those there 80s when I was being shaped into a human being?

Sunday was a blank slate and here is how I planned to mark it up and how it actually turned out:

1. Catch up on reading the news sources from the past few days: I read the Sunday Washington Post on a Sunday for one of the few times ever and I am up to date on the going ons in the world, while cutting my losses in those sources that it was too overwhelming to catch up on (Economist). (Is it like a pre-requisite to be an extraordinarily odd looking human being to ruthlessly hold on to an Arabic dictatorship?; see Gadaffi, Muammar and Assad, Bashar.)
2. Call my friend whose birthday is the day after Sunday (today): does it make me a bad person that I did not find the time to do this? Or just a procrastinator? Or just someone being cliche and wishing her a happy birthday on her actual birthday?Anyway, happy birthday, Beth!
3. Work-out: pants fitting a little more snug than what is ideal. So it was nice to get to the gym for the first time in a about 10 days while also advancing in Jane Eyre (Mr. Rochester, you bastard, how could you do that to sweet, innocent Jane?). Thank you elliptical machine.
4. Write more in the writing project I have undertaken: a full night's sleep and coffee put me in too good a mood to write what I wanted to write. The new Bon Iver album comes out tomorrow so I will just download that sometime and play that on repeat with a youtube video of people crying as well to get me in the mood and crank out the depressing literature I have in mind.
5. Watch the final round of the U.S. Open: having to watch TV on the programmers' schedule before the days of the DVR must have sucked. Watching taped programming on the VCR was never really a desirable option either.
6. Eat a the Green Olive chinese buffet in Alexandria: If the coffee, working out, and abundance of sleep didn't have me in a good enough mood, the buffet outfitted with myriad chinese dishes, a sushi bar, and hibachi grill just set me over the top. It was a half hour trip to get there and it was worth every moment. I haven't been that happy in a while. And, in the process, I realized I was an event to make me feel I have lost control or bout of depression away from becoming an obese person based on the fact that food=happiness for me. You win, vast quantities of food for one moderately low price. I was even wishing at one point I were a very large person with a congruently large stomach to take maximum advantage of the buffet. Hence, the gym membership.

Overall, Sunday--and the weekend as a whole--was a large success.

One of these days I am going to leave the house to go do touristy things like I had originally intended with this weblog.

But hey, let me ask you a question: Should you wake a homeless person you fear may no longer be breathing even if it turns out they are just sleeping and you are left with that situation? I mean homeless people seem to be willing to sleep anywhere, so that could become a burdensome venture given the chances they are not dead and their propensity to appear so. At the same time, I don't really want to be the part of the answer to: A homeless person died on the sidewalk as many people walked by, why did no one stop to see if he was OK? Because he seemed to be asleep by the time I walked by. I didn't see any sort of struggle or anything. I don't know, I am a terrible, selfish, awkward person not wanting to explain why I am staring at the homeless guy on the sidewalk to passerbys or said homeless man when he awakes from the shadow I have cast while standing over him looking for signs of breathing.

Society should not be forced into these types of deliberations every time they see an unkempt person sleeping soundly in a place those of us with beds think is not possible to sleep soundly. I need a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment