Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend 2011

The thing about peppermints is that, yeah, they give you a minty fresh taste in your mouth when it's there but when it's gone it leaves a horrendous aftertaste that makes you want to either eat more peppermints or brush your teeth. Terrible. Why do people eat peppermints? Actually, does anyone other than old people? Well, I must every once in a while to have this strong an opinion of them. I blame my old boss who has a bowl on her desk.

Anyway.

Let's talk about relationships. They're weird. You invest like months, if not years, hanging out with this person, developing habits with this person, getting to know them better than you do like anyone else. You don't do it on purpose for the sake of believing you're an independent human being but you basically become a single entity. 'Boy-girl' not 'boy and girl' (or boy-boy/girl-girl). What happens when someone decides they no longer want to be part of that relationship? Normally what I do is leave the country or date some one that is moving somewhere. But what if they return? Or worse yet, never go anywhere in the first place. How do you just like drop these habits that include feeling like you want/need to be around that other person now that they are a different entity to you even when you know it's for the best? Now you have to not touch this person with whom you are so used to being so physically close. Normally you just rub their head or kiss them whenever you have some free motions available but now you have to convince yourself that is not appropriate even when their hair is so soft.

Yeah, that's hard. Given my complete inability to care about anyone but myself, again, I just date people when there is no chance at succeeding since I or they will be moving far away in the near future so that I have an excuse when failure becomes inevitable/self-fulfillingly prophetic. But if, unlike me, you are a decent human being, then I imagine it would be pretty difficult even if it is necessary. But that's where the concept of time and sugarmommas come to ease/erase the pain. And next thing you know you are fine and a fully functioning independent entity again.

Or you just get lazy and get back together for the sake of their softer skin and/or hair/pressure of society to get married and have kids because who is going to pay for the older generations if the birthrate falls?

 Just kidding. You're better than that.

Anyway.

So we went golfing Friday on the first day of my four day weekend at this course near my house. I saw a fox. We drank a bunch of beers because we could/had a lot of time to finish 9 holes. Then we went to eat at Red Rocks (you know, the place with the really good pizza but I am not so sure they're in my top 3 anymore since they got rid of my favorite one with mussels and capers but still excellent).

Then on Saturday early afternoon we decided to have a little seafood fest as is the tradition when watching the Champions League final. So we went down to Maine Ave. in SW to the seafood market. There is a lot of seafood there. I had never had an oyster so I decided I would try one there. There was this guy eating a plate full of them and I asked if I could observe and learn. He said yea. So that happened. Then I asked him what they taste like and he said something pretty inappropriate and not to be repeated here. The nice fish market lady let me try one and it turns out they don't taste like anything other than the lemon and hot sauce you put on them. Then I got a nice little container of ceviche, which was delectable and spicy. I don't know why I didn't think of this beforehand, but most of the crabs there they were selling were alive so I employed a little cognitive dissonance and pitched in for a bushel of them.

At home we ate crabs and other grillout food and other people came and joined in. And Barcelona won, so that was good. And we tried to smoke the hookah but it was not cooperating, which was disheartening, but a false alarm to larger issues. It was probably just the aluminum foil.

Then a friend was having a little 30th bday celebration so we went over to his apartment for some more food and drinking. Then we went to Wonderland Ballroom for some more drinking. I was only going to have one beer but I don't know if you remember or not but I have this roommate that is a bad influence so he bought whiskey shots.

Then I left to head home. Then I realized I didn't close out my tab. So I was back at Wonderland Ballroom drinking more and dancing. Not sure how this happened.

Then I left again. While I was waiting outside for people a Domino's pizza guy was delivering a stranger a pizza. He asked me if I wanted to buy a pizza for $5. I said I did and opened my wallet. There was only $2. I told the delivery guy this. The delivery guy got pensive and said that if I don't tell anyone that we would have a deal. I said I wouldn't. I have since told everyone I know, including you.

I didn't drink that much but for some reason I woke up not feeling that well. That reason is whiskey. So I cured myself and got ready for day three of four off. A couple people were going to eat at this ramen place on H St. and I was like, well, a couple other of us are going drinking on H St. Want to join forces? We did.

The ramen place didn't open until 5pm and it was only like 2 but across the street there was this place called Star and Shamrock, a Irish Jewish concoction of a bar. When in Rome you eat pizza so when in a jewish place you eat pastrami on jewish rye. Which I did. With a bloody mary. Then the bar tender was like "since you guys are like my first fucking customers of the fucking day we're going to do a shot of this fucking grape rum shit. what should we fucking mix this shit with?" Someone said blue curacao so we had a shot of "fucking grape rum, some fucking blue bull shit, and some fucking soda water to dilute that shit." It tasted like barely spike kool-aid. Here's a picture:

Then we moved on to the main event: the Biergarten Haus--an authentic german style biergarten with outdoor seating and liters of german beer. We each had like three liters, which is a lot. Here's a picture:

My stomach literally could not handle that amount of liquid so it regurgitated a little.

After that we tried the ramen place again but there was like an hour wait, which is ridiculous, so we left H st. entirely. Some of us then went to Lou's and put more substantive stuff in our stomachs. And all that was pretty exhausting so that was about it for Sunday.

As you know, Monday was Memorial Day/the national championship in lacrosse with Virginia versus Maryland. I have roommates that went to each school so, in addition to the requisite Memorial Day grillout, it doubled as a lacrosse national championship watching festivity. But that's probably because it was like 200 degrees outside and we had to do something inside.

Incidentally, I need a new place to live because it was not even June and it felt like summer in the Amazon. Well, I have never been to summer in the Amazon, but I've heard it gets really hot and humid there and it was extremely hot and humid here in DC.

And that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment