Tuesday, September 20, 2011

This Past Weekend Had College Written All Over It 2011

I am an admitted music snob in that I will judge you based on your music and think that I am better than you if your music is more mainstream than that to which I listen. Hence, I don't have many friends. And those I do have I really wish they knew more about good music so they could tell me about it. Do you like good music? Are we friends yet? Of course we are. Who else would read this? But let's act like we're not. In that case, would you like to be my friend and go hang out and drink good beer and talk about good music? Cool.

However.

There are a few pop songs that I do enjoy. They are (this may be all of them):
-there is that beyonce song from last year or so
-there are lady gaga songs from her last album
-i enjoy that adele song that recently came out.

Trend: they are all quite talented and I respect talent.

On the other hand, just because a band is not mainstream does not mean I respect them. These are some at least moderately sub-mainstream people that I do not enjoy:
-odd future--i think they won an MTV award. if it wasn't for being obnoxious/overrated, it probably wasn't deserved
-fleet foxes--this crap reminds me of the woods and other things too tranquil for my liking. can't stand it
-sleigh bells--click on that link and listen to it. yeah, i can't believe anyone likes that either.

Anyway.

So the Washington Nationals are terrible. Point and case: you can buy tickets for two rows up in right field for $5. You're right, that is as much as the fee to purchase them online. I was thinking, "I haven't been to a Nats game since the very beginning of the year and I have nothing to do Friday so why don't I splurge and go to a game." My roommate liked the idea, too. So he gets a bottle of Captain Morgan and we drink that pre game. And here's the kicker: for some reason I get the idea to get 5 hour energy drinks. No, I get the idea because I don't get enough sleep and drinking and baseball can be a pretty powerful sedative.
$5

Do you remember when I told you how I know why four loko's were made illegal in their original form? Well, I was wrong. I did not. Now I do. You see, alcohol naturally makes you tired and feel the effects of drinking a lot. Energy drinks like four loko or five hour energy masks that tiredness so you don't realize that you're getting drunk, which we were after the Captain Morgan and beers at the game. But we must not have known or else I would hope we wouldn't have walked from the stadium up to Capitol Hill to a random bar for a few more beers, which is kind of far but I cannot quite recall walking all that far.

And neither can my roommate.

After that we remember eating chips and salsa at said bar with the beers and leaving. And then it's anyone's guess. Or, if it's your knowledge, please let us know what exactly did happen.

Here's what we can piece together and guess from the clues:

We got on the metro somewhere near the bar and switched to the green line at L'enfant, presumably. My roommate then remembers being on the floor of the metro and when he got up I was gone. He remembers getting off at U St. and looking for me. He also remembers me pushing him so it only makes sense that I must have pushed him and ran away at the U St. stop. I have a text message saying I am on the bus on the way home. He walks home. I didn't have my keys so I guess I figured I would wait for him on the back deck waiting for him to come home. He does not come through the back door but goes through the front and passes out in the foyer. I have calls on my phone to roommates at about 1230 and 3am. I also have an anecdote in which I called another friend and seemed confused as to why I was calling him. The only other thing I remember from the night is waking up on the back deck shivering at 3am and wondering what the fuck is going on.

The next day my roommates come into my room to wake me up for the Tennessee game. "What is that on your head?" I have an unexplained scrape on my forehead. I'm embarrassed.

Lesson learned: do not binge drink and take a five hour energy.

Also like college, I put on my orange jumpsuit for the Tennessee game and, like most of college, we lose to Florida. I hate the University of Florida.

But really the orange jumpsuit was only there during my last semester of college. Also from my last semester of college: my affinity for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Well, they were playing in DC on Saturday at the 930 Club, so after my first run with Korean food of the weekend--this time from Adams Express in Mt. Pleasant--I met up with a couple friends and attended their concert. Given the zaniness of their music I figured they would have a livelier stage presence. I was mistaken. But I enjoyed it just the same. It probably had to do with the fact that the music reminded me of a really fun time in life. And then we went back to my friend's house and threw the football in the street.

Do you remember when I told you about my goal to be able to run a six minute mile by winter? Well, I finally got started on that/I joined a soccer league and I don't want to be the first casualty in a social soccer league. So last week or so I had attempted to run on the treadmill at the gym. I have never run on a treadmill before because, given my aversion to embarrassment, I am more than likely to fall on my face in the middle of a crowded gym and if that's not grounds for suicide I do not know what is. I don't know if it was just the machine or if it knew that I was scared or if it's the way I run, but I was tripping up on the machine and almost fell multiple times. But the jesus didn't invent the outdoors for us to run indoors anyway so on Sunday I gave the running a try outdoors at the track down the street. Guess how fast I ran my first mile for the sake of running a mile in a long time? 7:35. Can I cut that down to six minutes in three months? I don't know.

How does one recover from a grueling exercise regimen such as that? Vast quantities of Korean food, of course. Namely, Honey Pig in Annandale, VA. Look at this. This is two people's food/my idea of a good time:





My roommate and I had intended to visit the Woodrow Wilson House on Sunday but I was told it closed too early based on when I woke up when in fact it was not. That will have to wait for another weekend. My tourist experience for the weekend: Takoma Park, MD. I work with this girl that is in love with Takoma Park because she says it is so "bohemian". Wikipedia says it has the nickname of the "Berkeley of the East" based on its very liberal constituents.

So I put on my tourist shoes and went to explore this neighborhood. I mean I saw some hippie types but other than that I couldn't verify how liberal or bohemian it is. This is what I saw:
welcome sign

it became quite residential pretty quickly. not used to seeing all those trees this close to the city.

big ugly apartment building just to remind you you are near DC

apparently the town grew up around a railroad station and these buildings make me think of just that

old fashioned downtown area

Then I was walking down the road and this random lady was like, "Hey you're that guy that walked into the tree the other night! It has to be you, look at the scrape on your forehead!"

No. This didn't happen. But I am afraid of something like this happening and them being like, "actually, you ran into a wall with all these people around and you started crying because you were so embarrassed and lost." Yeah, that would be grounds for suicide. But seriously, if you do have information on what happened Friday please do let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment