Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Daylight Savings Ends 2011

FYI: I hope that when you read this the voice telling the pointless stories of how I leave the house on the weekends is that of Delilah from the radio. Her voice really emphasizes what I am trying to say.

Did I ever tell you I hate tucking in my shirt? Yes, I did. But I thought I'd repeat it. I'm lowering my standards and making not having to tuck in my shirt half my criteria for a future job. The other quarters are make over $11320100986 and the work day starts after lunch. Please advise if you know where I can find this.

It's kind of a misnomer to have one period of the year called day light savings time and the other something I am not sure what since it's not like when you turn back the clocks--which I think, as you probably remember, is a bologna idea--you are eliminating the daylight, you're just having it around at an earlier hour of the day.

You know, I am always telling you about my weekend but I never ask you about yours. Forgive me for being so rude. So, dear reader, how was your weekend? Did you enjoy the nice weather? Did you go out or did you stay in and relax or be productive in some way? In any case, I hope it was swell and you slept well.

Anyway. Enough about you, this is about me.

We almost had a run-in with Local 16. Whew! I don't know if you remember but this is the bar that I despise and where once during the summer I was asked to bribe my way in, which I of course refused to do and so was refused a swifter entry. Well, my one friend recommended it, which was OK with me when I thought there would be other ladies accompanying her. When it turned out it would be her and a few guys there was no way Local 16 was kept on the board.

So we went to Lost Society on 14th and U instead. It's a fancy pants bar. I think I knew this going into the experience, but I never put in the effort to wear anything other than the t-shirt and zip-up hooded sweatshirt I had on all day. Not sure why. Amateurism. Cognitive dissonance maybe. Ignorance probably. Lack of experience with fancy pants bars too, most likely. Luckily, they let me in.

And you know what? It was a good time. Once I shot down my friend's suggestion for Local 16 earlier in the day she said she just wanted to go to a "fun bar." I told her that I don't know what that means as I have pretty much the same experience at all bars, with the company I am in being the variable of fun. Except for bars with shuffleboard tables. Those are fun. Fancy pants bars like Lost Society would not have been on my list of bars that I would qualify as "fun," but the company, shots, and house music that forces you to move at least one part if not your entire body made it an enjoyable experience.

It was also at this bar where I realized I have come a long way since I started this bloggy and have gotten away from the touristy side of it. But isn't interpersonal interaction much more fun than being a tourist? Yeah, it is. "But can't you do both?" you're probably wondering. I don't know. Give it a try and write a blog about it, skeptic.

So then we went to the jumbo slice place on U St. for some jumbo slices of pizza and chicken wings, to which I think I am moderately addicted. Which reminds me, once I stop spending so much money out at bars I am going to go on a taste tour of the best wings places in the city and write about it here. It will be a delightful read.

Then we ended up at Judy Restaurant on 14th. No, it's not Judy's, it actually is just Judy Restaurant. It's a Salvadoran place. Now, it's not hard to find a bar in the Columbia Heights area where people are mainly speaking Spanish. What is difficult is to find one where most of the people are young, working professionals where the white people are speaking Spanish, too. If you are looking for this type of place, Judy Restaurant is your place.

Besides, not becoming a fat person is taking more of a priority than doing touristy things, anyway, if I may continue my earlier thought of getting away from the original purpose of going out and doing all the fun things in DC. Well, if I put it that way, maybe I am not getting away from the original purpose. Yeah, we'll go with that.

So Saturday, in attempt to be an active person and take advantage of the nice weather, me and a few of my roommates went out and kicked soccer balls together. That was nice.

Are you a college football fan? Of course you are. Me too. Saturday I double whammied two of my short-term goals: become a regular at The Getaway and watch the LSU-Alabama game, which, admittedly, was a really, really short-term and easily attainable goal. But everyone needs goals like this to boost their self-esteem, especially when they have worked on their other goals of being able to run a six minute mile about 1.5 times. You would not believe how good I felt about myself after watching that game at The Getaway. So good, in fact, that I went to the store and treated myself to the greatest treat of all, fried chicken. (Seriously.) Fried chicken from Giant has overtaken Johnny's as the go-to for late night food in Columbia Heights. For me, at least (exclusively probably).

On Sunday, I really wanted to go and do something all DC-like that would be good for this blog. It's Foto Week here in DC (Yeah, it is actually spelled with an 'f' and I thought about boycotting it for that fact. I wonder who had the idea to try to name the thing to appeal to adolescent girls? That person(s) should be fired.) and there was a really interesting sounding event with Human Rights Watch that I wanted to attend. But when I went out to get a bikeshare to ride down there, they were all taken in the stations around my house, so I took that for a sign that it was not to be. Along with the fact that I left the house 15 minutes before it was to begin. I blame having to turn back the clocks. Sure, I gained an hour of sleep and should have been ready to leave the house that much earlier instead of sleeping so late, but...well I have nothing to say to counter that because it's right.

So another Moe's is coming to DC. My roommate heard the construction in L'Enfant Plaza on Saturday. On Sunday, my roommate was going to Chipotle, which I thought was lame, so once the photo thing plans went awry I decided I would head down to 13th and F to see if the one that already exists was open as I had it on my mind. It was not. But that's OK because I had just eaten and probably didn't need to eat a burrito at that moment.

On the way down I heard that song Still Dre by Doctor Dre. When was the last time you heard that song? I really like the beat of that song. And it was better than the song that I had in my head at the time for some reason, Beautiful by James Blunt, which I think a roommate was singing to me the night before. It happens.

And then I turned down S St. and BOOM there's the Freemason building. Just pops up on you.

Also on the way there I passed the impressively large protest in Lafayette Sqaure against the absurd proposal to have a pipeline that transports very dirty tar sands oil from Canada (Canada!) to Texas. So I stopped by and lent my support in person for a few minutes, but it's always there in spirit. I admit, my convictions are fickle. I wasn't always like this. Bummer.

Since I was out I decided to keep it that way and meet up with my roommate that was at a bar in Foggy Bottom. After spending some time there, I decided to walk home because the weather was just lovely and you never know what is going to happen when you're out just strolling along.

Well, nothing happened except passing by lots of pretty houses, which, btw, is the BEST thing about DC. Not debatable.

Then, later that evening, I finally finished a book that I had been reading for way too long and in the process realized it is in books where I can get some more emotional variety to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment